Discipline

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it . And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

This passage of Scripture reminds me of parts of Hebrews 12:1-2 let us run with endurance  the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. For me the prize is eternal life with Christ Jesus. (Although it isn’t a prize, it’s a gift from Him to me) but that’s my end goal. We all run the race that is life and for some their prize is physical things. Wealth, happiness, love. And sometimes they achieve these goals, wealth, fleeting happiness, human love. But these things are temporary and they won’t satisfy the soul. People try their hardest to get satisfaction in life and they never find true satisfaction and contentment because it can only be found in Christ.

I see this and I can’t help but be so grateful that I know the Lord and that this is not my pursuit. I get to run my race, live my life for Christ. Eternity with Him and growing in my relationship with Him is my prize and my crown in heaven is imperishable. I don’t have go to through life, uncertain of its end and I don’t have to seek fulfillment in anything but Him. I know what my end is and I know what I’m fighting for.  I must discipline my body, my spirit, my mind to be subjected and submissive to His will. I must live this life for Him, wholly and completely. Because if I’m out there, evangelizing and sharing His word but not living it. People will notice and it will do more harm then good. I mustn’t fall into hypocrisy.  The only way for me to do so is to spend time with Him, in His word and to always check myself to see if I’m in His will and being obedient to Him and accept correction when necessary.

Application: I will check myself tomorrow in prayer to check that I’m in His will and acting with a heart of joyful obedience.


Comments

Popular Posts