Proverbs 3:11-12 My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, Nor detest His correction; For whom the Lord loves, He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights.

I remember the first time I read this verse was a quotation of it in Hebrews during the training phase of IGNITE.  I was going through a breaking of my will at the time and the verse spoke out to me. So often in life I walk in self-condemnation or self-justification.  I hated being chastened and corrected because it made me feel wrong and awful inside. I would take what was the Holy conviction of the Lord and twist it in my mind into self condemnation and dwell on it constantly.  I refused the grace and forgiveness offered to me.  Or I would justify my actions through my flawed, biased human judgment and forget about what I did, refuse to accept correction or even acknowledge what I did as wrong.  

I didn’t understand the chastening and conviction of Jesus was one of love and forgiveness.  But God doesn’t condemn me; He corrects me because He loves me. He delights in me, and wants me to grow closer to Him and dwell in His freedom full of peace, love and joy. Not in my chains of self and fear. As do others when they correct me, they’re not doing it out of hatred, malice or spite, but out of love and a desire to see me grow and my relationship with Jesus grow.  When I lay down self and pride and accept correction, even desire for it, I get to live in freedom. Freedom in the knowledge that each correction I receive can be an opportunity to grow closer to Jesus.

Application:  Write down this verse and keep it in my bible so that every time I open the Word I’m reminded of His love and freedom and what a blessing it is to be corrected.





Comments

Popular Posts