Be a student

Luke 2:46 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions.

Wow, this is so convicting for me.  Jesus listened and asked questions, even though He was the greatest teacher in the whole city, He listened to the teachers and asked questions. This brings to mind how difficult it is for me to listen to the pastors that come up here, even if I like them and want to listen to them and glean what I can. I often find my mind dozing off and not paying attention. Even in the book discussion, which are often more interactive and engaging, I still lose myself in thought and I don’t listen or ask questions. God blessed me with an opportunity to learn and to glean what I can from teachings and discussions and books yet I still don’t pay attention.   But this isn’t acceptable, I’ve been blessed with such a time where I can learn and spend all day everyday for a year learning about Him and building a steadfast, sure, foundation in Christ and His word. I cannot waste it, waiting to get out of class to get a lollipop or thinking on other things like my ten days home or field time.  I won’t get an opportunity like this again. 

Not only that but He asked questions. Something that I’m often told is that my generation doesn’t ask questions. And I get kinda mad, and think “Here we go again, another diss at people my age” But then I realize they’re right. I almost never ask questions. I say “its because they spoke it so well” But in reality, its because I’m too lazy to use my brain that God has gifted me with and just apply it for once in my life! Because to ask questions involves thought and God forbid I use my brain.  This verse really serves as a reminder to me, to not waste the opportunities that I’ve been blessed with and to be intentional with the pastors and the teachings I’m hearing.

Application: I will make a point to ask at least 1 question in all of my book discussions this week.







Comments

Popular Posts