Discipline.

2 Samuel 11:11-13 Uriah said to David, “The ark and Israel and Judah dwell in booths, and my lord Joab and the servants of my lord are camping in the open field. Shall I then go to my house, to eat and to drink and to lie with my wife? As you live and as your soul lives I will not do this thing.” Then David said to Uriah, “Remain here today also, and tomorrow I will send you back. “ So Uriah remained in Jerusalem that day and the next. And David invited him, and he ate in his presence and drank, so that he made him drunk. And in the evening he went out to lie on his couch with the servants of his lord, but he did not go down to his house.

Uriah was an example to me. Putting myself in his shoes, I don’t know whether or not I would have the discipline to act as he did. Uriah had been at war. His lord encamped out in open fields with His servants. Israel and the ark are dwelling in tents. Yet when presented with the offer of time spent back with his wife, Uriah said no. Because it wouldn’t be fair for him to go to the comfort of his own home and his wife while his comrades went on sleeping on the dirt and in tents. Uriah had the discipline to say no to the comforts David wished to bestow upon him. And instead, slept with the servants on the couch. His personal conviction of this must’ve been so strong, he wouldn’t even do it when inebriated.  

It’s so easy to give into temptation and just say yes to comfort Christianity. Saying to God “Nah, I’m good. I’ll hang back here while others go on fighting.”  Being lukewarm. IGNITE has really put me out of my comfort zone, away from my home, my family, my church, away from everything and everyone I know. God has drawn me out. It’s so important, especially with my ten days home fast approaching not to give into the temptation of slipping back into my comfortable lukewarm state. To be like Uriah and say no to the comforts offered to me, to slip back into darkness.  To have the discipline to seek Him every day.  Say no to going back to my comfortable state in the midst of a battle. But to understand that my entire life is a battle, the world is a battlefield, winning people to Christ.  Both on the field and when I’m home.

Application: I will be intentional on my 10 days and keep to my devotionals. My family can keep me accountable.

Comments

Popular Posts