Hebrews 11:13  These all died in faith not having received the promise, but having seen them afar off were assured of them,
This verse is so powerful. In the verses previous the author mentions the faith of Abraham, Sarah, Enoch, Abel and Noah.  It mentions how even though some of them never saw immediate fulfillment of the promises God made them, they trusted in God with His promises and timing. This is so important for me now. I know of the promises of God and I know He has a better plan for me and will for my life. But surrendering that to Him and trusting Him with it is a completely different story.  Something I struggled with on my 10 days home and even now is everything at home was lined up so perfectly, I easily could’ve slipped back into life and it would’ve been wonderful. But I know that God has called me to this program and to finish it and finish it well. Accepting that there’s nothing wrong with looking forward to what He has for me but never to dwell on it and to look for what He has for me in the present.  To trust Him with the present and with the future.

Something that I’ve noticed about myself is I’m a worrier, to quote Warren  Wiersbe “Some of us live in the indelible past some live in the impossible present and some in the unknown future” These men and women of faith exampled here and throughout the bible didn’t worry about what happened, what’s happening, or what could happen. They laid those worries down and trusted the Lord with their lives and even though they died not receiving the promise, they saw it afar off and were assured.  Do I trust Him when He shows me the promises afar off? Some say seeing is believing but I disagree. I think believing and faith is trusting Him when you don’t see.  Because often enough God does show me yet I still disbelieve and doubt.  It’s something I’m continually laying down and praying for.

Application: Talk to someone about this and pray with them about it.


Comments

Popular Posts