Servanthood

Matthew 20:26-28 Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

I need to remind myself of this verse often if I’m honest with myself. I can really see, especially through the leadership here, they were first interns, just like me. And in order to have position that they have they had to go through the program first and they still serve alongside with me. I can’t just go through life expecting to be on top and not have to make the climb and learn the lessons necessary.  No ministry should ever be a stepping stone for me. I have to treat every outreach and kids club and project that I do seriously and understand that ministry isn’t something to be messed around with.  “Whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave” This even speaks to me about KP. Sure, I get to be first in line for food, but in order to be first in line, I have to serve. Life shouldn’t be about climbing to the top and being first but bringing glory to the Lord and going where He would have me. Whether that be at the front of the line or the very back. God desires for me to be content with where He has me. “The Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve” This section really hit home. Jesus came down and washed the disciple’s feet, he was always serving in whatever aspect His Father would have him.  Jesus did that. Jesus who bore all of my sin and died on a cross for me, who loves me and is Emmanuel, God with us. He deserved to be waited on hand and foot, he didn’t have to serve. But He chose to. If Jesus, the Son of God, came down and instead of being served, served.  And yet somehow I still struggle with service? I cannot go through life expecting to be served. I must go through it looking for ways to serve others.

Application: At this next meal, instead of being at the front of the line for food as I always am, I’ll go to the back. And pray for contentment with where He has me.



Comments

Popular Posts