Sacrifice

Philippians 3:9 and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith.

For me to properly understand this verse I have to give a definition of the word righteousness. My bible defines it as “being right with God and doing what is right.”  So often I think I’m “all good” with God because I’ve done the “right thing” in my eyes and have lived “the good Christian life.” But obeying laws isn’t righteousness and it certainly isn’t being right with Him.  I even let myself become puffed up in my obedience to these laws. But I must forsake my worldly “righteousness (which quite honestly, is pride) and live in faith in Christ and the understanding of how utterly unworthy I am of His grace and love.  I have to die to myself and “the good Christian” ideal I’ve imposed upon myself. Die to the idea of being “good enough” so I don’t owe Him anything.  It was a hard process to go through accepting that His love is a gift freely given and it is one I can never repay (Its something I have to remind myself of daily). Once I truly die to myself, my ideas of worthiness, my pride, I can receive His grace and love and have true righteousness. I can truly be right with God. But I must accept the fact that the only way to be right with God is even possible is by the blood of Christ Jesus. And now, because God’s wrath and righteous judgment has been satisfied.  I can have true communion and fellowship with Him. I can only have true righteousness when I have faith in Jesus and the sacrifice He made.

Application: I will write out a reminder and a prayer of sorts, in my next devotional for me to find my righteousness in Him and to die to my pride and for more understanding of His abounding grace and love.

Comments

Popular Posts