Obedience

Romans 6:18 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness.

The way I see it, I can either be a slave to my sin. Or I can be an obedient bondservant of Christ. I can obey His word, His will for my life, and the authority He’s placed in my life. Or I can try to make my own way, in deliberate disobedience to God. I don’t think much on the fact that to disobey the Lord is sin. It’s not something I really dwell on. I used to try to convince myself that maybe what I was doing was His will and I’d make up “reasons” as to why it was Him. Deep down I knew it wasn’t. I knew it was my flesh desiring things of the flesh. God has really been showing me how to discern if the voices I hear, or the advice I take really is of Him. The best way He’s given me to test this is His word. To really get into His word and know whether or not the thoughts that I’m taking captive or receiving are of Him and are obedient to Him.

 I let myself become lazy in that, I don’t read His word to receive it and listen to what He’s telling me through it and its because I’m lazy and the bible is too much work to figure out. “I’ll read it tomorrow” or “I’ll pray about it tomorrow” “I’ll be filled tomorrow” I’m becoming a slave to my flesh when I do this. To my slothfulness, pride, and disobedience. Disobedience because God commands me to be filled with the spirit now. Not tomorrow when I feel more up to it. This verse really shows me how much God desires for me to lay those things at His feet. When I’m feeling tired, to pray for strength, to pray for wisdom and discernment. It also shows me just how much I need His grace. Because sin is inevitable, but where sin abounds grace abounds more. And I can find peace in understanding that I have received His grace and I can seek Him and His face and as I do so I will grow closer to Him.

Application: I will be obedient to God and read His word at least three times today on my own.

Comments

Popular Posts