Perseverance
Colossians 1:11 being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy

We are strengthened with God’s power and might. This brings to mind Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Not on my own strength can I rely, but solely on God’s.  This is something that is hard for me. To know that I cannot be independent of God, but I must rely upon the Lord in all things. I can’t be strong without God, maybe for a little while, but my well of strength will become dry and barren. God’s well is infinite, overflowing even. I have to draw upon him for strength in all things, even the things that may seem easy to me.  I might even be capable of doing some things on my own. But that isn’t what He wants or requires of me.  I have to accept that God’s plan for my life and His work through me and in me is better than anything I could ever do myself.
The last part of the verse really struck me: “With joy.” So often in life I use my trials and what I’ve been through as an excuse to complain or be miserable through them.  But this isn’t what God wants of me. How are people supposed to be able to see Jesus through me and how He works in me through trials if I don’t have His joy throughout them and throughout life?  His joy is readily available to me; I need only take hold of it. The joy of the Lord shall give me strength.  I know now that receiving His joy in all circumstances gives me strength in all things.
Application:  I will write down three reasons God has given me to be joyful in my circumstances and pray for His joy and strength in my next devotional.

Comments

Popular Posts