Contentment

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content

Wow, this is a powerful statement Paul is making here. I don’t think I fully understood the power behind this statement until I remembered that Paul was writing this to the church of Philippi while in prison. Paul had been shipwrecked, imprisoned, bitten by a snake, beaten, thrown out of towns, blind for three days, had people plot to kill him, and so much more. And throughout all of these experiences, he’s learned to be content.  This is the type of contentment and joy I strive for everyday.  Being content in my seasons in life and not just waiting for the next one to start is something God has really been challenging me with. Not just that but being content when things change. When things don’t go my way, it’s always a challenge to see things with God’s perspective and to be content with where He has me in life.

It goes on in verse 12 to say that Paul knows how to be content when He is both abased and abound. He can live with nothing, going hungry, and be content, and be full and have his needs provided for and be content. To be content all situations in life, and seek after Him no matter what season He has me in is something that he challenges me with practically every day.  I can do all things when I have God’s strength. I can be content and filled with His joy in the worst of situations. God desires for me to seek after Him in all things and never doubt or question His provision for me and my life.

Application: I will write out a prayer for a heart of contentment and joy in all seasons of my life. I will pray for a heart eager to learn the things God has for me in the season that I’m in.



Comments

Popular Posts