Perseverance
Revelation 1:9 I, John, your brother and companion in the tribulation and the kingdom and the patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the Word of God and for testimony of Jesus.

I can’t imagine myself in John’s shoes. Exiled to Patmos; isolated, completely alone, and yet not. Because God was with him.  He was sent there because of Jesus. He was the only disciple to die of natural causes (Old age.) He had seen or heard of many fellow believers executed in some of the most excruciating ways, He was described as Jesus’ beloved, and then to have Jesus die on that cross, in such an agonizing way.  He persevered through all of that death and suffering, and then was banished to that island. I know he wasn’t relying on his strength, but the strength of God.  He was exiled to Patmos for the Word of God and for the testimony of Jesus. To have endured so much in his life and to still go and preach God’s word and testimony without restraint.
The Roman emperor of the time, Domitian, exiled him to Patmos for witnessing. John wouldn’t stop declaring Jesus’ name and preaching His word. So he was exiled. Will I witness in this manner? Will I be willing to be sent to an island in complete isolation for the Word of God?  Would I be willing have my friends and my family die for His name? He lived there completely alone. Some say he actually lived in a cave. And we have no idea how long he was even there.  He may have been there for years. But he was never truly alone because God was with him, speaking to him.  
Something God has been putting on my heart lately is just being quiet and patiently awaiting and listening to His voice; Much like John did on Patmos. I can’t imagine how God must’ve spoken to John throughout his time on Patmos.  And how much patience John must’ve been in prayer for. I cannot help but marvel at what God can do through someone. Even when I feel the most alone, God is with me, speaking to me, I need only attune my ears and listen to Him. I must persevere and endure through the trials, suffering, and persecution I and my family and friends endure. Because God uses these things for His glory.
Application: I will write out a prayer asking for endurance and patience in listening to His voice.



Comments

Popular Posts