James 3:13-17 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

 When I was younger I always associated wisdom with intelligence and knowledge. When I thought of wisdom I thought of a wise guru type person with a long white beard sitting on top of a mountain. I know now that this is not wisdom. It’s the world’s wisdom. Worldly wisdom is an easy thing for me to use and accept, it’s easier for me to be argumentative and harsh with people. It’s easier for me to talk back and not take correction; it comes far too easy for me to hold grudges. And often enough that’s what my flesh tells me to do. It says that disobedience is cool and revenge is righteous, that to be argumentative and harsh towards others is okay, if not good. It took a long time for me to realize and accept that these avenues where I was receiving my wisdom weren’t of God and weren’t Godly wisdom. Too often I tried to fix my problems myself without asking for His wisdom and guidance and it always fails and I always wondered why it didn’t work. It brings to mind that God’s wisdom is the road less traveled by because it’s a much harder one to take. To be peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, merciful, and without partiality is an impossible thing for me to do on my own. And I’m not supposed to do it on my own; I have to rely upon Him for wisdom. To have wisdom I have to seek God because He is the only source of true wisdom.
Today I will write out a prayer for wisdom concerning a struggle I’m going through right now. My roommate will hold me accountable to this.

Comments

Popular Posts