Ephesians 6:1 Children, Obey your parents in the Lord for this is right
Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord

I can’t help but find this quite amusing that these particular verses are due on the day my father is visiting me here. Its little incidents like these that prove to me that God has a sense of humor.  I haven’t always had the best of relationships with this verse. My parents would quote it to me as I was grumbling about doing the dishes or vacuuming the carpet. But God is our Heavenly Father just as we are all His children. How can I expect myself to be obedient to God, when I can’t even obey my earthly parents? I do think it can be easier for me to obey Him than my mom and dad because He’s God. He’s an omnipotent and omnipresent being. My parents are well…My parents. They’ve raised me up in the Lord and taught me so much. I’ve been told what to do, how to act, and what to say by them since childhood and I get sick of it.

But God has put them in my life to learn obedience in the small things, He desires for me to recognize the authority He’s given them and other peoples in my life over me and to submit to them. Because submission and obedience is a humbling thing. I let my pride get in the way of things and mess up and stumble because I didn’t take heed of the wisdom and discernment God has given my parents and others. It’s hard not to do things my way and do it another, even if I think my way is better. God gave me free will and He fully expects me to surrender it back to Him. One of the ways that manifests itself is in obedience to my parents and other authority figures in my life.

Application: I will be obedient to the authority God has over me during this season of my life and not ask impertinent questions for the rest of the day.





Comments

Popular Posts